The Fall ’22 Graduate Orientation Agenda is currently being planned! Please check back in at a later time for information. See below for what we did last year!
Swanson School of Engineering (SSoE) Graduate Orientation
“Changing the World Together”
August 25, 2021
Congratulations! You are going to be a Panther Graduate Student in the Swanson School of Engineering (SSoE)!
Your academic career at the Swanson School of Engineering at The University of Pittsburgh has officially begun. We are thrilled to welcome you to campus and our home in Pittsburgh! This year’s Graduate Orientation will be held in-person on-campus, where you will learn all you need to know about Pitt, SSoE, and joining our Pitt engineering community. As a member of the Pitt Engineering Family, we are here to provide you with the tools to set you up for success.
Please find our agenda for orientation below and note that items may change such as room numbers. We encourage you to check back for the most up to date information. RSVP was emailed to you as well as you can find the link to RSVP below. Even if you are unable to attend, please complete the RSVP.
We encourage attendees to utilize Pittsburgh's public transportation including bus lines that service Oakland and various neighborhoods surrounding campus. Uber and Lyft are also available. Parking on-campus will be very limited. Please allow extra time in your commute.
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - Hybrid Event
Swanson School of Engineering School-Wide Graduate Orientation
Time: 9 AM - 12 PM
Location: Soldiers and Sailors Ballroom 3rd Floor - 4141 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Dress: Rock your new t-shirt and be able to easily identify fellow graduate students in your department. Couldn’t pick up your t-shirt on 8/24? We will also be distributing them on 8/25 but make sure to arrive early! Coffee and tea will be served.
During this informative part of orientation, you can expect:
- Welcome from SSOE Leadership including:
- Our US Steel Dean of Engineering - Dr. James (Jimmy) R. Martin II
- Our Associate Dean for Graduate Education – Dr. Robert S. Parker
- Our Director of Engineering Student Services & Graduate Ombudsperson – Cheryl Paul, MEd
- Our Director of Graduate Recruitment & Enrollment Marketing – Stephanie Opalinski, MBA
- Our Program Administrator for the Associate Dean for Graduate Education – Tracy Anderson
- Guidance for Grad Students - A Panel Discussion moderated by Cheryl Paul
- The Transition from Graduate School from Undergraduate
- Building Successful Relationships from PI's to mentors to graduate faculty and fellow students
- Internship/Co-op Considerations
- Imposter Syndrome & How to Overcome
- Safety/COVID Protocol – Dr. Schohn Shannon (Assistant Dean Swanson School of Engineering)
- Lunch to immediately follow
Panther Engineer Graduate Luncheon
Time: 12 PM – 2 PM
Location: Outside* Patio of Benedum Hall (BEH) - 3700 O'Hara Street Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Swanson School Department Breakout Sessions
Time: 2:00 PM - 5 PM (end times may vary by department. Final times and locations to be posted shortly)
Location: Benedum Hall (BEH) - 3700 O'Hara St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Learn everything you need to know about your specific department at Swanson. Information will include details about curriculum, enrollment, advising, faculty, and more! Below you will find the locations and start times for our Department's breakout sessions for this year's orientation.