Students can check this page for scholarship, fellowship and internship opportunities.
American Nuclear Society
The American Nuclear Society has a number of scholarships and internships listed.
Department of Energy Nuclear Engineering University Program
- DOE-NEUP Scholarship Program - The DOE NEUP Program provides scholarships of $7,500 toward the educational cost of an undergraduate student's education. The solicitation comes out sometime in the Fall Semester. The applicant should have a high GPA (~3.0 or above) to be considered.
- DOE-NEUP Fellowship Program - The DOE NEUP Program provides a fellowship of $50,000 per year for three (3) years to support a graduate student. The solicitation comes out sometime in the Fall Semester. The applicant should have a high GPA (~3.7 or above) to be considered.
Other DOE Opportunities
This is for Entry-Level and Student opportunities at the Department of Energy. NE participates in DOE Scholars and MEISPP programs.
Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI)
The National Academy for Nuclear Training Scholarship and Fellowships
Scholarships and Fellowships are available to eligible engineering students who are interested in careers in the nuclear power generation industry. For the scholarship students must have work experience at INPO member utilities (such as cooperative education or summer intern assignments), be rising juniors or seniors, and be nominated by utility managers or executives.
Fellowship proposals are submitted by the Nuclear Engineering program. Upon an award, MS or 5th-year BS/MS students are selected by the Program with preference to students that have an intent to work in the nuclear power industry and have had co-op experience at a nuclear utility.
Scholarship applications, school certifications of enrollments, and utility nominations must be submitted online. The online application process can be initiated by students at www.act.org/nant. In past years, applications are due June and awards announced in July or August.
Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory
- Summer Intern Program - Bettis Laboratory has a summer intern program. Internship postings for next summer will be available on Monster.com starting October 1st. Interviews are conducted between October and December.
- Fellowship Programs - Bettis Laboratory is an approved practicum location for two separate Fellowship Program
- Rickover Fellowship Program
- Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship Program
DOE National Laboratories
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (Los Alamos, NM)- The Lab has programs for undergraduates and graduate students
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (Upton, Long Island, NY) - The Lab has programs for undergraduate and graduate students
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Oak Ridge, TN) - The Lab has programs for undergraduate and graduate students
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) - The Lab has scholarship and internship programs
- Sandia National Laboratory (Albuquerque, NM & Livermore, CA) - The Lab has programs for undergraduate and graduate students
- Idaho National Laboratory (Idaho Fall, ID) - The Lab has internship program
ACS Nuclear & Radiochemistry Undergraduate Summer Schools
Sophomores and juniors who are interested in nuclear science are eligible to apply for this intensive six-week Summer School in Nuclear and Radiochemistry. Fellowships include a stipend of $3,800, all tuition and fees, transportation to and from the Summer School location, housing, books, and laboratory supplies.
Transferable college credit will be awarded through the ACS accredited chemistry programs at San Jose State University (7 units) or the State University of New York at Stony Brook (6 Units).
Applicants must be US citizens.
Learn more about the ACS Nuclear & Radiochemistry Undergraduate Summer Schools.
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), RISE (Research Internships in Science & Engineering)
The DAAD RISE Program gives students in the fields of biology, chemistry, engineering, geology and physics the chance to spend a summer working with German doctoral students on serious research projects. The on-line database for applicants opens ~ in December. For information see the following links:
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
The Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program at Penn State: The Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering invites applications for paid summer research experience for outstanding undergraduate students in engineering, computer science, physics or chemistry with an interest in the nuclear field.