If you are currently a degree-seeking student in the University of Pittsburgh's other undergraduate schools or colleges (i.e., Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, College of General Studies, College of Business Administration, Nursing, etc.) or Regional Campuses (Bradford, Greensburg, Johnstown, Titusville) and wish to transfer into the Swanson School of Engineering, refer to the following guidelines:
INTERNAL TRANSFER GUIDELINES
To be considered for admission, students must:
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0. Students wishing to major in Bioengineering will need a 3.5 GPA or higher. (Please note that these GPA requirements are minimums and FOR CONSIDERATION ONLY. Individual engineering departments reserve the right to close admission to their department once capacity has been reached.)
- Finish the equivalent of the Freshman Engineering Curriculum Requirements with grades of "C" or better.
- Calculus 1 & 2 (MATH 0220 & 0230)
- Physics 1 & 2 (PHYS 0174 & 0175)
- Chemistry 1 & 2 (CHEM 0110 & 0120 - 1 lab minimum)
- Intro to Engineering Analysis (ENGR 0015) & Intro to Engineering Computing (ENGR 0016)
- Please note ENGR 0015 & 0016 does NOT satisfy the English Composition requirement. Students must also complete ENGCMP 0200 (or the regional campus equivalent) as a requirement prior to taking their Writing Intensive (or "W") course.
- (Beginning 2017-2018 academic year) All international students transferring from a regional campus must have a TOEFL score of 100 or greater OR completed the Pittsburgh campus equivalent of ENGCMP 0200.
If you are ready to apply, please complete a Program Change Form with your current academic advisor or registrar. Please make sure to note on your Program Change Form the engineering major you want to be admitted to. If applying for admission for the Spring semester, it is HIGHLY PREFERRED that program change forms are received by Nov. 1st. If applying for admission for the Fall semester, it is HIGHLY PREFERRED that program change forms are received by April 1st.
Need help choosing an Engineering Major?
Please use our Choosing an Engineering Major Guide as a resource to help solidify your decision on which engineering career path is right for you.
Pre-Engineering Information Sessions
Current Pitt students looking to transfer into the Swanson School of Engineering from a school on the Oakland campus are invited to attend an Engineering Pre-Admissions Information Session with an Engineering Advisor. This will be the only opportunity to meet with an Engineering advisor and get information specific to your situation.
Please note: Link for the Fall 2021 Semester Pre-Engineering Information Sessions will be available soon.
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING TRANSFER CREDITS:
To view all transfer credit policies for the Swanson School of Engineering:
If you've met these requirements, complete an Academic Program Change form at the school/college you are currently attending or have attended. Your records will be sent to the Swanson School of Engineering administration office in 151 Benedum Hall. An engineering admissions advisor will review your record promptly, and you will receive a letter stating your admission status. You will also receive notification of the credits that will transfer toward your BS in engineering.
Upon admission to the Swanson School of Engineering you will need to contact the specific department of engineering to which you have been accepted. They will then set up a time for you to meet with an advisor to schedule classes.