Department of Bioengineering Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Bioengineering in the Swanson School of Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh is to:
- provide a high-quality engineering education to both undergraduate and graduate students; and
- be a leader in research specific areas encompassed by bioengineering.
Undergraduate Program Objective
Upon completion of the Undergraduate Bioengineering Program, and/or within a few years of graduation, our alumni will be able to:
- Gain employment in professional careers (i.e., an industrial career in bioengineering or related field); and/or
- Enroll in graduate studies (graduate school: MS and PhD programs related to bioengineering, or professional school: e.g., Medical, Dental, Health-Related).
Bachelor of Science graduates from the Bioengineering Undergraduate Program will have the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts and will have demonstrated:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions; and
- ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Program Enrollment and Graduation
The Bioengineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Bioengineering, Biomedical and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.