- Must be a Pitt EXCEL scholar to participate in SRI
- Pitt EXCEL first year and sophomore scholars with no previous research experience are selected to participate in a nine week summer research internship program.
- Scholars are assigned to faculty mentors who lead research teams. The scholars will develop a mentoring relationship with their faculty in order to complete a research project in their field of engineering. Work a minimum of 30 hours a week in the lab.
- Scholars will meet regularly with their faculty mentor to review daily journals,discuss progress, and collaboratively discover innovative solutions to problems that arise during their research experience.
- At the end of the program, scholars present their findings to engineering faculty members, industry representatives, staff, and their peers. Only those scholars who are active members of the Pitt EXCEL Program will be considered for this research opportunity.
- At least eight to ten scholars will be selected for the program.
- Opportunities for continued research as an undergraduate scholar during the academic school year
- Opportunities to present at STEM conferences
- Opportunities to publish
- Graduate school prep
- Professional development