All faculty, staff, students, and non-Pitt employees working in laboratories involving chemicals, including gases, must complete EH&S’s Chemical Hygiene Safety Training and, if applicable, Bloodborne Pathogen Training before entering the laboratory.
Mandatory Safety Training
- Chemical Hygiene / Formaldehyde
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Live training sessions (especially recommended for the 1st) are typically held approximately every 2 weeks in Benedum.
- Web-based, on-line training
Required “Refresher” Training
- Chemical Hygiene Safety Training – every 3 years
- Bloodborne Pathogen Training – yearly
Additional specific training may be required, for example in the use of HF or lasers.
These will be identified through Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to be submitted for each laboratory, equipment, and experiments.
Additional training is required for the shipping of hazardous goods including gases, chemicals, and dry ice.
The Faculty Member should contact EH&S to discuss additional training.