CE ABET Accreditation
The Civil Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Civil and Similarly Named Engineering Programs Program Criteria.
The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology's (ABET) aim is to assure quality in educational institutions and programs. Accreditation through ABET is a voluntary, non-governmental process of peer review and requires an educational institution or program to meet certain, defined criteria.
The accreditation performed by ABET serves to declare that a program has met minimum standards for the prospective students benefit and help advise deans and administrators of a program's strengths and weaknesses and of ways to improve the program. The accreditation also serves to inform employers that graduates are prepared to begin professional practice with a sound education.
ABET Student Outcomes
At graduation, students must be able to demonstrate an ability to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Civil Engineering Major Undergraduate ABET Program Educational Objectives
- Program graduates will have the skills to become successful civil engineering professionals and problem solvers;
- Program graduates will actively engage in lifelong learning, pursue professional licensure, and be professionally active;
- Program graduates will become leaders in shaping engineering and public policy; and
- Program graduates will be prepared for the successful pursuit of advanced degrees.
Civil Engineering Mission
The mission of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is to produce highly qualified civil engineers and achieve scholarly excellence through research.
These future professionals shall be creative problem solvers with a global perspective and a commitment to lifelong learning.
Civil Engineering Enrollment and Graduation Numbers