The Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Student Advisory Board (MEMS SAB) was created to amplify the voices of all underrepresented students in MEMS, in order to create a more unified and proactive MEMS department.
Goals and Initiatives
- Implement a trusted and dedicated support network that addresses social issues and the well-being of underrepresented students in MEMS
- Implement workshops and awareness programs for students and professors to better understand issues that directly impact the MEMS students
- Implement an integrated curriculum that teaches about ethics and the intersection of engineering and social justice
- Implement programs and collaborations to increase the percentage of underrepresented students and faculty.
- Building a MEMS community that understands the importance of cultural competence and social responsibility
- Understanding intersectionality within engineering
- Creates a perpetual system of inclusion and equity
- Fosters an environment for diverse thinking and innovation.
Address areas in need for improvement to develop inclusivity between the students and faculty
Hosts programs such as student-faculty mixers to develop a community in the department
Gauge the student and faculty climate regarding the goals of the SAB
- Dr. Brian Gleeson (Department Chair)
- Dr. Nikhil Bajaj
- Dr. Katherine Hornbostel
- Dr. Tevis Jacobs
- Dr. John Whitefoot
- Joanna Rivero (Co-Chair)
- Arushi Pradhan
- Praveen Vulimiri
- Lauren Wewer
- Halima Morafa (Co-Chair)
- Mychal Amoafo
- Jamison Beveridge
- Jordan Church
- Camryn Cooper
- Grant Clark
- Maya Green
- Holden Guibao
- Rachel Thomas
To provide a straight forward process for students to voice input and concerns, the MEMS Department has established the following email address: MEMS_confidential@pitt.edu. Messages will be received and acted upon in confidence by the Department Chair.
If you have questions or would like to join the MEMS SAB, please email MEMS_Student_Advisory_Board@groups.pitt.edu.