The Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Student Advisory Board (MEMS SAB) was created in 2020 to amplify the voices of all underrepresented students in MEMS. The board consists of undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty all working together in order to create a more unified and proactive MEMS department.
- September 19, 2023: MEMS Career Panel
Meet with recent MEMS alumni before the career fair to ask for advice with interviews, negotiating, and making the transition from school to industry.
Click Here to view the most recent newsletter with updates about SAB and other organizations in MEMS!
To help everyone be successful at Pitt, here is a list of resources to help with student health, counseling, career prep, childcare, and more!
SSOE Select - Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Implement a trusted and dedicated support network that addresses social issues and the well-being of underrepresented students in MEMS
- Implement workshops and awareness programs for students and professors to better understand issues that directly impact the MEMS students
- Implement an integrated curriculum that teaches about ethics and the intersection of engineering and social justice
- Implement programs and collaborations to increase the percentage of underrepresented students and faculty
- Building a MEMS community that understands the importance of cultural competence and social responsibility
- Understanding intersectionality within engineering
- Creates a perpetual system of inclusion and equity
- Fosters an environment for diverse thinking and innovation
Address areas in need for improvement to develop inclusivity between the students and faculty
Hosts programs such as student-faculty mixers to develop a community in the department
Gauge the student and faculty climate regarding the goals of the SAB
- Dr. Brian Gleeson (Department Chair)
- Dr. Nikhil Bajaj
- Dr. Daniel Cole
- Dr. Zachary Harris
- Dr. Tevis Jacobs
- Dr. John Whitefoot
- Arushi Pradhan (Co-Chair)
- Praveen Vulimiri
- Lauren Wewer
- Mychal Amoafo (Co-Chair)
- Oreofe Adeleye
- Jordan Church
- Grant Clark
- Maya Green
- Kimberly Newhall
- Hannah O'Connell
- Rachel Thomas
To provide a straight forward process for students to voice input and concerns, the MEMS Department has established the following email address: MEMS_confidential@pitt.edu. Messages will be received and acted upon in confidence by the Department Chair.
If you have questions or would like to join the MEMS SAB, please email MEMS_Student_Advisory_Board@groups.pitt.edu.