TK (Takashi D. Yoshida) Kozai
- Kozai TDY, Catt K, Du Z, Na K, Srivannavit O, Haque RM, Seymour J, Wise KD, Yoon E, Cui XT. Chronic in vivo evaluation of PEDOT/CNT for stable neural recordings. IEEE TBME. [in press].
- Kolarcik CL, Luebben SD, Sapp SA, Hanner J, Snyder N, Kozai TDY, Chang E, Nabity JA, Nabity ST, Lagenaur CF, Cui XT. Elastomeric and soft conducting microwires for implantable neural interfaces. Soft Matter. 11. 4847-4861.
- Patel PR, Na K, Zhang H, Kozai TDY, Kotov NA, Yoon E, Chestek CA. Insertion and development of linear 8.6μm diameter channel carbon fiber electrode arrays for single unit recordings. Journal of Neural Engineering . 12. 046009.
- Kozai TDY, Vazquez AL. Photoelectric artefact from optogenetics and imaging on microelectrodes and bioelectronics: New Challenges and Opportunities. Journal of Material Chemistry B. 2015. 3. 4965-4978. [ cover]
- Kozai TDY, Jaquins-Gerstl A, Vazquez AL, Michael AC, Cui XT. Brain Tissue Responses to Neural Implants Impact Signal Sensitivity and Intervention Strategies. ACS Chemical Neuroscience 2015. 6(1). 48-67. [ cover]
- Kozai TDY, Du Z, Gugel ZV, Smith MA, Chase SM, Bodily LM, Caparosa EM, Friedlander RM, Cui XT. Comprehensive Chronic Laminar Single-Unit, Multi-Unit, and Local Field Potential Recording Performance with Planar Single Shank Electrode Arrays. Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 2015. 242. 15-40.
- Kozai TDY, Catt K, Li X, Gugel ZV, Olafsson VT, Vazquez AL, Cui XT. Mechanical failure modes of chronically implanted planar silicon-based neural probes for laminar recording. Biomaterials. 37. 2015. 25-39.
- Kolarcik CL, Catt K, Rost E, Albrecht I, Bourbeau D, Du Z, Kozai TDY, Luo X, Weber DJ, Cui XT. Evaluation of poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)/carbon nanotube neural electrode coatings for stimulation in the dorsal root ganglion. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2015. 12(1). 016008.
- Kozai TDY, Li X, Bodily LM, Caparosa EM, Zenonos GA, Carlisle DL, Friedlander RM, Cui XT. Effect of caspase-1 knockout on chronic neural recording quality and longevity: Insight into cellular and molecular mechanisms of the reactive tissue response. Biomaterials . 2014. 35(36), 9620-9634.
- Kozai TDY, Gugel ZV, Li X, Gilgunn PJ, Khilwani R, Ozdoganlar OB, Fedder GK, Weber DJ, Cui XT. Chronic tissue response to carboxymethyl cellulose based dissolvable insertion needle for ultra-compliant, ultra-small neural probes. Biomaterials. 2014. 35(34). 9255-68.
- Kozai DTY,Alba NA, Zhang H, Kotov NA, Gaunt RA, Cui XT. “Nanostructured coatings for improved charge delivery to neurons” in “Nanotechnology and Neuroscience:nano-electronic, photonic, and mechanical neuronal interfacing”Springer. 2014
- Kozai TDY,Langhals NB, Patel PR, Deng X, Zhang H, Lahann J, Kotov N, Kipke DR. Ultra small implantable composite microelectrodes with bioactive surfaces for chronic neural interfaces. Nature Materials. 2012 11(12), 1065-1073.
- Kozai TDY, Vazquez AL, Weaver CL, Kim SG, Cui XT. In vivo two photon microscopy reveals immediate microglial reaction to implantation of microelectrode through extension of processes. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2012. 9. 066001.
- Gilgunn PJ, Khilwani R, Kozai TDY, Weber DJ, Cui XT,Erdos G, Ozdoganlar OB, Fedder GK. An ultra-compliant, scalable neural probe with molded biodissolvable delivery vehicle. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems(MEMS), IEEE 25th International Conference on 2012, 56-59.
- Kozai TDY, Marzullo TC, Langhals NB, Hooi FM, Majewska AK, Brown EB, Kipke DR. Reduction of neurovascular damage resulting from microelectrode insertion into cerebral cortex using in vivo two-photon mapping. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2010. 7. 046011.
- Kozai TDY, Kipke DR; Insertion Shuttle with Carboxyl Terminated Self-Assembled Monolayer Coatings for Implanting Flexible Polymer Neural Probes in the Brain. Journal of Neuroscience Methods. Nov 15, 2009. 184(2). 199-205.
Pending Council 1R01NS094396 (PI: Kozai) 09/01/15--09/30/20 NIH NINDS
Mechanisms behind Electrode Induced BBB damage’s impact on neural recording
Blood-brain barrier (BBB) dysfunction has an important role in cellular damage in neurological diseases and brain injuries. This proposal details an innovative in vivo imaging technology that will explore how BBB injury causes negative tissue response to neural probes and therefore improve future probe designs. (Impact Score: 17. Percentile: 2%)
1R01NS089688 (PI: Xinyan Cui) 07/01/15--06/30/20 NIH NINDS
Inhibition of Neural Electrode-mediated Inflammation and Neuronal Cell Death
This project will investigate the fundamental role of caspase-1 pathways in mediating host tissue responses to implanted neural electrode devices. Therapeutics will be administered to inhibit the neuronal death and inflammation for improved electrode performance.
2R01NS062019-05A1 (PI: Xinyan Cui) 07/01/14--06/30/19 NIH NINDS
BIOMIMETIC SURFACE FOR NEURAL IMPLANTS
The specific aims of this project are: to determine the effect of increased neuronal survival and health, the role of inflammation on chronic recording quality, longevity and reliability using neural camouflage surface modification.
McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Center for Neural Basis of Cognition
Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh
- Surgical Consultant
- Project Lead
- Visual, Somatosensory, Barrel Cortex Evoked Neural Activity
- Multiphoton Microscopy
- In Vivo Calcium Imaging
- Channel Rhodopsin
- Blood Brain Barrier
- Micro/Nano scale fabrication specialist
- Biological Polymers
- Composite Biomaterials
- Organic Conductive Polymers
- AAV Transduction
- Channel Rhodopsin
Neural Engineering Lab (Daryl Kipke), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Designing and manipulating devices to stabilize and improve brain machine interface chemically and electrically
- Developed a flexible, sub-cellular carbon fiber based chronic implantable micro thread ultra microelectrode.
- Developed a polymer probe self-assembled monolayer insertion assistant backbone shuttle
- Two-Photon Microscope studies on Neurovasculature and its effect on implants/electrophysiology
- Brain Machine Interface, High-Speed Neural Recording
- Polymer Device Design (PEDOT, Parylene, PDMS, etc.), Chemical Vapor Deposition, Electrochemical Deposition
- Electrode Characterization, Material Characterization, Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Rat/Mice Surgery, Primary Neuron Culture, Immunohistochemistry-Fr, Cryosectioning
- Micro Thread Arrays
- Project Management
Co-founder, Inventor, Manager, Owner
Fontis Biotechnologies, Ann Arbor, Mi
- Developing Novapatch: Transdermal Drug Delivery Patch for Macromolecules
- Systems Design
- Experimental Protocol/Data Collection/Analysis: Validated device using Pig Ear Skin
- Inventor: Patent Pending US20100028388 for NovaPatch
- Managed Laboratory Technicians and Business Analysis Team
Michael Stowell Lab (Structure and Mechanism at the Chemical Synapse), University of Colorado, Boulder)
- Single Particle Reconstruction
- Cryo-Electron Microscopy
- Three Dimensional Reconstruction
- Building and isolating aptamers (SELEX)
- Honors Thesis: Designing a single electron transistor using Tabacco Mosaic Virus coat protein biotemplated 40A gold wires and CdS coated Ferritin proteins bioassembled using aptamers.
- UPITT BIOENG 2186 Systems Neural Engineering Guest Lecturer
- UPITT BIOENG 1150 Electrochemistry Instructor
- Center for Neural Communication Technology Training Course Instructor: Electrode Characterization
- MCDB 2150 Genetics Tutor
- Kozai TDY. In vivo Two-photon Microscopy Elucidates Molecular & Cellular Level Tissue Response to Neural Implants and Guides Next-Generation Neurotechnology Designs. 2015. University of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh PA. May 22nd.
- Kozai TDY. In vivo Multiphoton Microscopy Elucidates Molecular & Cellular Level Tissue Response to Neural Implants and Guides Next-Generation Neurotechnology Design. 2015. University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mi. May 7th.
- Kozai TDY. Elucidation of Molecular and Cellular Level Tissue Response to Implantable Neurotechnology Guides Next-Generation Intervention Strategies. 2015. Brown University. Providence, RI. March 23rd.
- Kozai TDY. Elucidating Molecular and Cellular Inflammatory Tissue Response to Implantable Neurotechnologies Guides Next-Generation Intervention Strategies. 2015. University of Texas, Dallas. Dallas, TX. March 10th.
- Kozai TDY. Molecular and Cellular Inflammatory Tissue Response to Implantable Neurotechnologies and Emerging Intervention Strategies. 2014. New Jersey Institute of Technology. Newark, NJ. Dec 22nd.
- Kozai TDY, Vazquez AL, Cui XT. In vivo 2 photon histology of novel electrode technologies directs next generation device design. 2014 Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, Washington DC.
- Kozai TDY, Li X, Bodily LM, Caparosa EM, Zenonos GA, Carlisle DL, Friedlander RM, Cui XT. Role of Interleukin-1β converting enzyme on recording performance and the reactive tissue response around chronic neural electrode. 2014 Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting.
- Kozai TDY, Jaquins-Gerstl AS, Vazquez AL, Michael AC, Cui XT. Temporal Dynamics of Molecular and Cellular Level Reactive Tissue Response and Its Chronic Influence on Signal Sensitivity. 2014 Monitoring Molecules in Neuroscience Annual Meeting, Los Angeles CA. Aug 3-7.
- Kozai TDY. Snyder N, Lagenaur CF, Vazquez AL, Kim SG, Cui XT. L1 Coating Improves Neural Electrode Integration as Revealed by Multi-photon Microscopy. 2013 Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, Seattle WA. Sept 25-28 2013
- Cui XT, Kozai TDY, Lagenaur CF, Azemi E, Snyder N, Schwartz AB, Vazquez AL, Kim SG, Tien R. Bio-mimetic neurotechnologies camouflage implants as neurons: Pioneering new challenges in FDA translation. 4th Annual Aspen Brain Forum, Aspen Co. Sept 18-20.
- Kozai TDY. Towards Seamless Integration of Machine and Brain Directed By A Biological Road Map. Faculty Candidate Seminar. University of Pittsburgh, PA. April 8, 2013.
- Kozai TDY, Gilgunn PJ, Khilwani R, Li X, Ozdoganlar OB, Fedder GK, Weber DJ, Cui XT. Ultra-compliant Neural Probes with Stiff Biodegradable Needles” DARPA RE-NET Meeting. New Orleans, LA, Nov 12-15, 2012.
- Kozai TDY, Gilgunn PJ, Khilwani R, Li X, Ozdoganlar OB, Fedder GK, Weber DJ, Cui XT. Insertion and chronic implantation of biodissolvable delivery vehicle for ultra-small, ultra-compliant neural probes. Neural Interface Conference, 40th Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, June 18-20, 2012.
- Kozai TDY, Langhals NB, Patel PR, Deng X, Zhang H, Smith KL, Lahann J, Kotov NA, Hooi FM, Majewska AK, Brown EB, and Kipke DR. Implantable neural Microthread electrodes probe at mechanisms behind chronic electrode failure. Biomedical Engineering Society, Annual Fall Meeting, Hartford, CT, Oct 12-15, 2011.
- Kozai TDY. 3D two-photon mapping of cortical vasculature during probe insertion inspires a novel ultramicroelectrode using advanced materials. Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM, Dec 8, 2010.
- Kozai TDY, Langhals NB, Patel PR, Deng X, Zhang H, Lahann J, Kotov NA, Kipke DR. In vivo chronic cortical recordings using novel ultra-small carbon fiber based implantable microthread ultramicroelectrodes. Society for Neuroscience 40th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. Nov, 13-17, 2010.
- Kozai TDY. .3D two-photon mapping of cortical vasculature during probe insertion inspires a novel ultramicroelectrode using advanced materials. University of Pittsburgh, PA. Nov 4, 2010.
- Kipke DR, Kozai TDY, Gibson MD. Advanced implantable microelectrode technologies for high-fidelity, multi-modal neural interfaces. Aspen Brain Forum, 1st Annual Meeting, Aspen CO. September 23-25, 2010. (Presenter)
- IEEE Brain Grant Challenge Young Investigator Award:
- Michigan Opportunities & Resources for Entrepreneurs Program 2008-2009
- Eteams Grant sponsored by National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance 2008-2009
- Dare to Dream Grant: Opportunity Phase – NovaPatch 2008
- CoE Center for Entrepreneurship Business Idea Competition 1st Place 2008
- FutureTech Quick Pitch Competition Finalist 2008
- Center for Neural Communications Technology: Teaching Fellow
- Touff Memorial Scholarship 2004-2005
- Colorado Merit CCHE-OFA 2002, 2003
- Deans Scholars-A&S ‘EY’ 2004
- Lead Equality and Diversity 2004
- Honors LEAD Scholar 2001-2005
- Kitterage Honors Program 2001-2002